Sports Bursaries for 2018/19 are available for students of outstanding sporting ability who show evidence of achievement at national level and above or those that show potential to compete at national level. Bursaries are only awarded to those applicants who have gained a place for a Falmouth University or the University of Exeter Cornwall Campus course.
There is no support offered through the FXU Sports Bursary Scheme to help finance course, tuition or international fees. FXU will make every effort to accommodate your training and performance needs, however no dispensation is offered from the normal course requirements in terms of assessment, progression or final degree classification.
Any sport which has a governing body, selection process and league/competition structure may be considered for the scheme.
Bursaries are awarded on a yearly basis and are subject to satisfactory sporting performance, academic progress and general conduct.
The scheme is reviewed at the end of each academic year and students must apply each year to be considered for the scheme.
Bursaries of up to £2,000 may be awarded to an individual. Each application will be considered on an individual basis, taking into consideration the chosen sport, achievements to date, potential BUCS points, selection process, league structure and sporting aspirations.
The funding can be used towards legitimate costs incurred to train or compete in your chosen sport, including the following:
- Competition entry fees
- Gym membership
- Travel and accommodation to competitions
- Essential sports equipment and clothing
- Facility fees
- Sports Psychologist fees
- Health & Nutritional Advice (Health MOT assessment)
Responsibilities of an FXU Sports Bursary Recipient
FXU require an up to date list of all competitions/event that you will be participating in during the year. You will be expected to notify FXU prior to competitions and to submit a brief report after events/competitions as well as termly reports. These reports may be used to promote your successes and those of the campus.
You will also be expected to;
- Meet with a member of the FXU Activities Team to confirm your individual support needs and to put a development plan in place.
- Have an FXU coordinated professional photo as well as suppling some high quality action/achievement images, which will be used to promote you as an athlete and the scheme.
- Provide a written bio and to take part in a video interview both of which will be used to raise awareness of you as an athlete and to promote the scheme.
- Provide a full reference from your coach or a member of the sports Governing Body is also required (as requested in the application form).
- Represent FXU particularly if BUCS points can be accrued. Where clashes occur between FXU and higher representative sporting commitments, Bursary recipients are expected to bring these to the attention of the FXU Activities Director.
- FXU expects Sports Bursary recipients to make every effort to take part in and support FXU sports campaigns and projects.
How do you apply?
Complete an FXU Sports Bursary 2018/19 application form to be considered for the scheme and email it to email@example.com or post it to:
Hayley Curtis, FXU Activities Director, Penryn Campus, Penryn, TR10 9FE.
APPLICATIONS FOR 2018/19 close 31 October 2018
How to access the funding
Receipts or proof of purchase will need to be presented to claim the funds. No funds will be released until FXU have received a signed agreement. All fund requests must be claimed no later than 17 July 2018.
For more information
For further details on the schemes please contact:
Hayley Curtis, FXU Activities Director firstname.lastname@example.org 01326 255966